Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Come in, mommy Chef?





Recently, after my home made moonlane garden has been set on my own pots and what have you's..ANother stint seemed to catch my attention big time...C-OO-K-I-N-G ! this never appealed to me so much before.

After a success with lean pork ribs in stew which my family seemingly appreciated in one of our sunday lunches, I can't help but add this to my career wanabe list.. Now, i cannot stop wanting to learn some more of this  cooking fever ! Well, i got tired just watching my favorite culinary chefs on discovery channel,noh..

My decision to put the lives of my tasters' tastebuds into my amateur cooking hands, started when my eyes ran into a very Filipino recipe magazine in one of my lines at the grocery one day. Its simply called Yummy. I devoured my first mag like I was going to have an exam the next day.
It somehow gave me a sense of fulfillment to see my family , taste and eat my creation with gusto. I realize  now, that my failure with cooking before was that, i never followed the  instructions written in my old cookbooks--diligently. As in.. ahehehe. i just thought I could just whisk it all my own way. Results were never succesful.

Today, added with passion and so much interest on the task...i did follow the instructions down to the last detail.. Voila! the result simply amazed me--it looked the way it appeared on the cook mag! and it tasted so trully yummy! Well, for my taste buds and my number one fan club's taste,that is.. (ahehehe my hubby & kids! ngeh)
I am referring to my Fish fillet in Taosi sauce which I first made last christmas day. Oh well, it was like hitting the road blindfold.I was enveloped with the christmas rush & confusion on what recipe to contribute at the family gathering's table.The mood of the family christmas meal was to lessen the cholesterol in our served dishes. So, i can't serve my stew..well, It was a last minute decision--my steamed fish fillet in taosi..Luckily,I somehow made it to the yummy category during our christmas lunch. 'coz  today, thank the heavens, I am still alive..wink*

Just yesterday and two days ago,and yeah..today, i am mastering the steamed fish fillet in taosi sauce, by cooking it regularly in our weekly menus at home.Tweaking here and there.. That is to apply what chef Jamie and the rest of my fave chef encounters on tv  say : "practice..simply makes purfect!"

What excited me more was collecting the condiments both local and international and exploring the different spices, unusual vegies & herbs which i  never gave a second look at before.
To date, i am still finding my way to completing my collection of the above condiments,collecting ,reading and understanding my cooking magazines, the use of this and that..what the culinary meanings of this word and that ,etc.. IT IS INTERESTING...PLUS..the selection of NON STICK PANS and COOKWARES and plates...PRESENTATION IS IMPORTANTE--wow! cooking in one genuine non stick pan and pot with a wooden laddle--is a definite must. still so much to learrrrrrrrnnnn...hachoooo!

Every now and then, as mood dictates me..i gobble up on the recipes in my cook mags and see what i can create with what i have collected in my pantry..its truly fulfilling..as a mother and a wifey.

Unlike before, the smell of spices on my handwashed fingers these days, is like sniffing
saute'd fresh onions, garlic and leeks -- the sweet aroma of homestyle cooking   ..

Aprons on... I wanna be my own chef too!

/copyrightwlmajam files.com/



No comments: