Thursday, May 8, 2008

I LOVE PSALMS








The book of psalms is the hymnbook and prayerbook of the bible. Composed by different authors over a long period of time.These are religious poems of many kinds: hymns of praise and worship of God; prayers of help,of protection and salvation.Pleas for forgiveness; songs of thanksgiving for God's blessings.It speaks so much of a persons most intimate feelings. Others represent the needs and feelings of all God's people.


The book of Psalms in the holy bible is my favorite book of all. It speaks so much about how our being humans, we are easy to be weakened by sin, yet, so much of God's salvation awaits us if we obey Him,praise Him and worship Him.I love this book because it is the prayerbook of many Kings from eons ago.And most of it I believe are King David's prayers.


Aside from Jesus, King David is one of my very favorite human characters in the bible. He is a great king so loved by the Lord our God but he was humble enough to admit his mistakes, his weaknesses, his incapacity to do God's will,his imperfect self,and yet abandoning all these weaknesses to God and making God work in Him in so many ways.so many ways indeed! It most often makes me reflect that even a great king like David,could be so prayerful and so trusting to God's goodness and power to strengthen him in times of battle .He was also so quick to realize his faults and sins and ask God for forgiveness and accept the consequences of his actions. He , a king--could have humbly done these things--how much more it should have been easier for me, a mere commoner in society --should be doing?


Every time I open my bible and be led by the readings for the day,I gently open the book of psalms like I am opening a treasure chest--so full of God's wisdom and love. It speaks so fully of me as a human person. It is so much like a prayer of a human being so imperfect, yet so loved by the Lord! It contains all the promises the Lord our God has for us.Yes! for us!


Reading my book of Psalms ---is like singing from the heart--it speaks FROM the heart and TO the heart of my soul.And when I start doing this... A lot of wonderful verses from this wonderful book starts to sing in my heart & mind ..One so distinct and loud in my heart right now goes:


" Oh my soul, do you not know, have you not heard? Its been told from the beginning, the Lord your God is on your side..Oh my soul, don't be afraid hope in the Lord..by His righteousness and power. He will strengthen, He will guide..And I will soar on wings like eagles,held by the hand of God, I will run and not grow tired when on His name I call.For the Lord is never weary, His ways are beyond my thoughts--I will trust in Him with all my heart . And I will rest upon His promise--patiently I wait.."

1 comment:

Shrikant said...

Hey, your thoughts and realization on the childish nature of David were lovely. It's truly amazing how a person with the greatness of a king laid upon him could still be so open and tender and true before God!